Skip to content

My garden…

June 17, 2011

Back in the day when we first bought this place and I didn’t take pictures or blog, this was a dog pen.  We added a gate and planted a garden, since I like things pretty as well as serving a purpose I created the flower beds in front with old brick Sean discovered while moving a random hill of weeds in our yard..we didn’t know much about it or that the weeds would be more plentiful than our harvest.  Our first year we ended up mowing around things.  Then we built the raised beds, still a lot of work weeding, then we added the rock.  Our mistake, we didn’t put down landscape cloth, guess who will be shoveling gravel this fall, my dearest hubby & I, ugh, but it will be worth it next year!

Advertisements
11 Comments leave one →
  1. Pat Miller permalink
    June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

WOW!!! I’m impressed!!!!

2. June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

your garden is so pretty it looks like something straight from a magazine!!!!

3. Pat Miller permalink
    June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

In my opinion, the cloth does NOT make that much difference, I wouldn’t waste my time doing it again. We have put it down everywhere we made beds, and the weeds are ridiculous!! If it’s coming up through the rocks, don’t expect the cloth to do any better.

4. June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

Ohhh, I want your garden!

5. June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

Oh wow, your garden is gorgeous! I’ve used the landscape fabric in the past but it’s not a sure thing. I’ve bought the cheaper black kind that you can almost see through, I totally would not recommend it, doesn’t work well at all. The next time I tired a more expensive, thicker, gray fabric that the guy at Home Depot said landscapers use but it doesn’t last forever, after a year or two weeds started coming up through it. Actually, I think seeds probably landed on the fabric itself and started sprouting. They don’t need much room for roots they just grow like….well…like weeds!

6. Selena permalink
    June 17, 2011 7:44pm06

Julie, This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

7. June 28, 2011 7:44pm06

Your garden is gorgeous! I’m so envious! Well, not of the shoveling gravel thing though :-/

8. Martina permalink
    February 18, 2012 7:44am02

Beautiful Garden, very lovely. I use flatten cardboard not landscape fabric under my raised beds. Its biodegradable and a great way to get rid of old pizza boxes and such.

• February 18, 2012 7:44pm02

thank you and what a wonderful idea! I will have to try that…