Skip to content

From smelly and depressing to warm and welcoming

February 14, 2011

So if you have been following along lately, you know my husband and I tackled an old house built in 1928 about 6-7 years ago.  This is the story of our kitchen…Sean had to start by jacking up this corner of the house to raise it several inches, tearing out the foundation, pour a footing and build it back (I know you guys don’t understand why we didn’t keep that klassy platform) we tore down that tunnel and ripped out one side, opening it up for a bigger table, added an opening on the kitchen side of the pantry closing off the opening in the dining room,  leveled as much as possible, installed tile flooring, new windows over the sink, trim & sheetrock.  We moved in May of 2004 with no kitchen cabinets.  We had a couple rubbermaid tables set up with our coffee pot & a few dishes (keepin’ it klassy 😉 washing dishes in the laundry room sink was no fun!) we ordered our cabinets from Home Depot and installed them that September.  A few years later we added the back splash and finally October of 2009 we purchased new appliances, no more 16+year old hand me downs thank you!  One of my favorite pieces is the hood Sean built over the stove (talented man) & that sweet island scored at Metrolina Expo. Yes those are Barefoot Contessa’s homemade Outrageous brownies sitting on the island, it is Valentines day after all, yum!

before:

linking to

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. February 14, 2011 7:44pm02

I’m visiting from BNOTP. Your kitchen looks great. Love the cabinets!

2. Bobbie Brown Photography permalink
    February 14, 2011 7:44pm02

Wow! This is a huge improvement! I think you kitchen is my favorite room in your house 🙂

3. Ashton permalink
    February 15, 2011 7:44pm02

Your backsplash looks awesome … I just wondered who you purchased that amazing travertine from?!? 🙂 Love the range hood that Sean built… and those brownies look amazing.

4. Leah Austin permalink
    February 15, 2011 7:44pm02

i LOVE your kitchen!

5. February 19, 2011 7:44am02

Your new kitchen is fantastic! You all did a great job on it. Sometime I’d like to hear how you planned & designed it.

6. February 20, 2011 7:44pm02

Thanks for the inspiration! We are looking at purchasing an older home to fix up and this may help my hubby “get the vision”.